[Physics] Magnetic Vortex Spin Discovery

Doug Marett dm88dm at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 23:57:06 CET 2016

Hi Arend,

    I think the Lorentz force is understood well enough to apply to that
video. You say:

"I believe magnetism actually *is* a vortex c.q. rotation in the medium,
the aether, and that the vortices we see in this experiment actually are
caused by the electrolyte spinning along with the magnetic aether vortex
created by the permanent magnet."

    However, if the direction of electric current flow were to be reversed,
the water vortex would spin in the opposite direction I am sure. It is not
even clear from the video what the magnetic field direction or the current
direction is, it is so poorly documented, so we can't even predict the
"magnetic vortex spin" expected for the magnet, assuming what we are
talking about as the purported "cause" is the predicted direction of
circulation of the magnetic lines of force, or what is sometimes called the
magnetic vector A potential. However since the inevitable "cause" of the
water spin will likely depend on the direction of the charges moving across
the magnetic field (and in the video, the spin is chaotic at best), the
only reasonable explanation is the Lorentz force, since this is such a
familiar phenomenon to those who work with it. The Lorentz force can of
course be explained using the physical model of Maxwell, i.e. can be
described as the pressure exerted between the "tubes of force" of the
charges verses the permanent magnet, as explained for example by Starling,
reproduced here:

http://www.conspiracyoflight.com/Lorentz/Lorentzforce.html

So I am not disputing that model at all. However, Maxwell's model would
call for the magnetic vortices from the permanent magnet to be in an array
(perhaps involving millions of them rotating in the same sense). Such an
array would be incapable of causing the rotation of a neutral fluid
directly, acting instead only on the magnetic field lines of the particles
in motion across the array due to the potential difference applied. This
explanation can fit with a fluid dynamic model of pressure between the
aether lines or tubes as the cause of the effect, since in such a  version
of the Lorentz force the repulsion between co-rotating vortices and
attraction between counter-rotating vortices would likely fit with the
particle motion direction (if the experiment was performed properly, like
with labelled current and magnetic field direction).
So again, although this is interesting observation, the guy that made this
video doesn't seem to recognize or acknowledge what is most likely going
on, so I would  be careful about referencing him.

Doug