[Physics] Why is a new beginning in physics necessary? *

Arend Lammertink lamare at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 11:08:37 CET 2016

Hello Hans,

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 7:23 PM, Hans van Leunen <jleunen1941 at kpnmail.nl> wrote:

> Dear Arend,
>
> You must distinguish between dimensions and degrees of freedom. In three dimensional space, six degrees of freedom exist. Half of them are rotations.

Yes, I agree. See my reply to Maurice.

With the Helmholtz decomposition, we can decompose these six degrees
of freedom into a compressible, rotation/curl free component and
divergence-free (incompressible) rotational component.

What I found is that these have been mixed in the textbook definitions
for the scalar potential field Phi, *if* we assume the Helmholtz
decomposition should apply here.

Delete the rotational term dA/dt from the textbook definition for Phi
and assume the flow velocity field [v] of a fluid-like medium to be
the "deeper" field being decomposed and the whole thing integrates
seamlessly, whereby the definitions for the EM fields correspond 1 to
1 to the terms (vector operators) which make up the Laplacian operator
AND form a proper Helmholtz decomposition of the flow velocity field
[v]...

Best regards,

Arend.