[Physics] OVOID ORBITS

O. Serret o.serret at free.fr
Fri Dec 30 16:38:44 CET 2016

Dear Nainan,

You wrote: “Do you really believe in elliptical/circular/ovoid planetary orbits?”

By definition, an orbit is a closed figure, a cycle path (“orbis” = circle). This has to to be understood in the relative frame of the attractive body. But you are right to remind than in the absolute frame, the figure is not closed, because the attractive body is also moving.

I also agree that on the very long term, the orbit is not stable (in the relative frame of the attractive body): the attracted body will either escape from or crash on the attractive body.

But in the relative frame of the attractive body, the ellipsoïd model is a better one than the circular model, for example with Mars planet. And the ovoïd model is a better one than the ellipsoïd model, for example with Mercury planet.

For sure they all are only “models”. If you check my demonstration, you could note that I use some (justified) simplifications, for example Equation I.24. The true orbit should be more complex in fact than the ovoïd orbit. Ovoïd orbit is only a model, but in my opinion a more accurate one than the ellipsoïd model.

I hope I answered to your question.
Kind regards.
O. Serret