[Physics] Sagnac experiment interpretation

O. Serret o.serret at free.fr
Sat Nov 5 12:34:17 CET 2016

Hi Doug,

Thank you for having made known Sagnac experiment, it looks very interesting.

Michelson experiment looks like Sagnac experiment without rotational movement ; except than both experiments are done within the rotational referential frame of Earth.

The point I don’t clearly understand is the difference with Michelson interpretation. I mean :

A) From the GR point of view, if there is no change of shift interference with Michelson experiment, it is because light is independant of the Earth rotation. So, why shift interference would depend of the Sagnac rotational movement ?

B) From the Aether point of view, if there is a change in shift interference in Sagnac experiment, it is because light is slowed down by aether. So, why it is not slowed down within Michelson experiment ?

Thank you for your explanation (with a draft if possible)

Best regards