[Physics] Fiber Optic Conveyor

O. Serret o.serret at free.fr
Fri Nov 11 23:45:33 CET 2016

Hi Doug,

> In reality, the effect of refractive index actually cancels out around the fiber loop, so that the fringe shift detected is independent of the refractive index of the fiber. This was pointed out by Ruyong Wang here: http://web.stcloudstate.edu/ruwang/PRL93.pdf

This article of 2004 is very interesting, but quite difficult to understand for me. They used an air core fiber. Because it is air, it is suggested that the refractive indice would be = 1, and so the celerity of light in the fiber would be the celerity of light in vacuum. I’ve checked on internet, and I only found an “equivalent” index consitent with the definition of the Numerical Aperture (?).  My question is :

Since 2004, do you know  if celerity of light in an air core fiber has been measured ?

Thank you for your help