[Physics] The filter of logic

Thomas Goodey thomas at flyingkettle.com
Wed Oct 19 12:49:58 CEST 2016

On 18 Oct 2016 at 6:25, physics-request at tuks.nl wrote:

> Logic is a minor branch of mathematics and it is also one
> of the essential classes taught in the philosophy
> curriculum. The tools of logic are quite sophisticated.
> A paragraph of text can be broken down into a set of
> logical relationships without knowing the subject matter
> of the paragraph.  Narrative text can be broken down into
> a set of assumptions (or facts) and conclusions connected
> by assertions (logical operators).  No matter how complex
> the text the rules of logic can be applied to untangle
> the statements and determine if any errors were made in
> reaching the conclusions.

Obviously you are a convinced believer in Aristotelian
logic! But actually, that's not how the real world works.
As has been pointed out many times in history, you only get
out from a structured logic system of this type, what you
have put in; it can produce nothing new. No scientific
paper is structured in this way.

Alfred Korzybski would have had a lot more to say about
your proposal!

And, of course, the notion that any meaningful results
could be obtained "without knowing the subject matter" is
laughable.

> This test of logic could easily be applied to the text by
> a computer.

By a computer of high-human-level intelligence, or by a
computer of super-human-level intelligence. Neither of
which presently exists, and neither of which is on the
horizon either.

Thomas Goodey

But remember, please, the rules by which we live.
We are not built to comprehend a lie.
We can neither love, nor pity, nor forgive.
If you make a slip in handling us you die.

Rudyard Kipling, 'Secret of the Machines'