[Physics] Digest mode settings adapted and some suggestions for filtering/sorting mail

Arend Lammertink lamare at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 11:34:17 CEST 2016

Hello all,

Beverly notified me there were multiple e-mails per day sent out in digest
mode. I checked the digest options, and there was a size threshold set to
30 kB, which caused a digest to get out pretty much with every post, I
would guess. I have increased that to 2048 kB. I think that will help a
lot. Digest mode should not send out multiple e-mails per day normally, but
it is reasonable there is a size limit. The limit was just unreasonably
small by default.

There does not seem to be an option to set digest mode such that it sends
out a digest only weekly or monthly. The size threshold seems to be the
major control parameter, and there is an option whether or not to dispatch
a daily digest. I don't think I would want to switch that off and that one
mail per day would be reasonable for a digest.

You can also access the public archive online at:
http://mail.tuks.nl/pipermail/physics/

Another possibility is to filter the posts based on topic, it includes
[Physics] in the topic, and put the mails in a separate folder
automatically. There are also "list" headers in the mails, which are very
helpful for automatic filtering of mails into separate mail folders, so
your main inbox is not getting cluttered:

-:-
*Include_rfc2369_headers* (general): Should messages from this mailing list
include the RFC 2369 <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2369.html> (i.e. List-*)
headers? *Yes* is highly recommended.

RFC 2369 defines a set of List-* headers that are normally added to every
message sent to the list membership. These greatly aid end-users who are
using standards compliant mail readers. They should normally always be
enabled.

However, not all mail readers are standards compliant yet, and if you have
a large number of members who are using non-compliant mail readers, they
may be annoyed at these headers. You should first try to educate your
members as to why these headers exist, and how to hide them in their mail
clients. As a last resort you can disable these headers, but this is not
recommended (and in fact, your ability to disable these headers may
eventually go away).

-:-

Filtering on the Listid header is the most reliable way of sorting incoming
e-mails from different mailing lists, but using the [listname] marker in
the subject also works well, although then off-list replies to you personal
will also end up in your "list" folder.

Best regards,

Arend.