[Physics] "True" time

Thomas Goodey thomas at flyingkettle.com
Sat Oct 29 14:29:19 CEST 2016

On 29 Oct 2016 at 12:00, physics-request at tuks.nl wrote:

> The meaning of time is, essentially, the common sense
> meaning of the word "time"...  I have referred to
> Newton's definition

Common sense is not precise enough for modern physics.

Anyway, if "true" time cannot be measured, i.e. if
intervals of it cannot be assigned numerical values by the
use of some apparatus, it is not a physical quantity.
Perhaps it is a feeling... like when you get hungry? or
cold?

> Try to organize a meeting with somebody else. To do
> this, you have to specify a place and a time.  We can
> today use sufficiently accurate clocks, but with much
> less accurate clocks organizing such a meeting becomes
> problematic.  If the two clocks show different times,
> even if we synchronize them now, we may not meet. The
> failure to meet each other is a very real failure, not?
> If your friend comes five minutes later, and you compare
> the clocks and see his watch was five minutes wrong, what
> you decide, for the future?  Lets simply meet, without
> any time, once we cannot measure it accurately anyway?

I do not know what the above means; it seems to be complete
nonsense; but anyway, it is not physics. Therefore it is
off-topic for this group, which is called
"physics at tuks.nl".

Thomas Goodey
******************

But remember, please, the rules by