[Physics] EM waves

Art Funkhouser art at funkhouser.ch
Fri Dec 1 15:49:47 CET 2017

Hi,

When I first learned about E and B fields, I was told that the E field
is at its maximum when the B field is changing the most rapidly.

And the same for the B field.

This would imply that the E and B vectors in a plane polarized EM wave
would be shifted 90° in phase.

Maxwell's equations, though, predict that they would be in phase (i.e.,
no phase shift).

If the energy of an EM wave is proportional to E^2 (also to B^2), then
it (the energy) would be pulsed (if they are in phase).

Apparently EM waves start out from an antenna with a 90° phase shift
(near field) and are later in phase (far field).

As the EM wave proceeds from the near field to the far field, the E
vector and the B vector must slowly shift phase in order to end up being
in phase.

At some time this must have been experimentally verified.

Can someone point me to the paper (maybe even in the 1800s) where this
was shown to be true?

Or later replication(s)?

Thank you.

Best,