[Physics] Double Slit experiment and our motion through space

Doug Marett dm88dm at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 22:59:13 CET 2017

Hi everyone,

    I am trying to develop a model to explain why a double slit experiment
can't reveal our motion through space. Some people have argued that if we
were moving through a preferred frame of reference for light, that the
double slit fringe pattern would be broadened or narrowed depending on
which direction we were pointing. I have attempted to counter this idea by
suggesting that any motion of a co-moving source/observer through a
preferred frame would cause both a change in the velocity of light and a
change in the wavelength, in equal measure (in order to preserve v= f x
lambda) and that this change in wavelength would be such that the
interference fringes would contract or expand just enough to exactly land
at the identical spot on the moving screen. I can attach a picture to
illustrate this, if anyone can tell me if this seems correct or needs
revision, it would be appreciated. I have also modelled it in Excel. I also
have an explanation in the attached .pdf.

Feedback would be appreciated.

thanks,

Doug Marett