[Physics] Fwd: Physics Digest, Vol 5, Issue 2

carmam at tiscali.co.uk carmam at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Feb 7 13:51:06 CET 2017

Mike, I am answering to your
post, but this really is a general post, prompted by reading your link.

We come across the phrase "The equivalence of
gravitational and inertial mass", mentioned in your link “How SI Units
Hide the Equal Strength of Gravitation and Charge Fields” quite often, but the
phrase really is meaningless. Let me explain. Inertia is an illusion, there is
no such thing, therefore there is no "inertial mass", just mass. This was brought to my attention quite vividly a few years ago
when I drove a van with a sliding side door. Sometimes I would set off driving
with the side door open, and it would slide closed. The thought occurred to me
“That is inertia at work”.

A closer inspection however, reveals what is happening. As I
set off, looking at the side door (not good driving practice I know), I could
see that as I set off, the door remained stationary relative to the road until
it closed, then it moved with the van. What is happening here is that the door
(assuming perfect friction free runners), is having no force applied to it and
therefore does not move relative to the road. It is obeying Newton’s
first law and is quite simply left behind as the van moves. This gives rise to
the illusion that there is something resisting movement. There is not. As no
force is being applied, no movement is possible. QED.

 Tom Hollings.