[Physics] Eclipses of Galilean Moons

Thomas Goodey thomas at flyingkettle.com
Mon Jul 24 00:24:32 CEST 2017

Carl Johnson wrote:

> As to the results of my calculations, Io and Europa were
> generally involved

It seems to me that any one of the four Galilean moons
could cast its shadow on any other. Of course if the former
is the smaller, then the shadow could not completely cover
the latter; and even if the latter is the smaller, the
shadow will not usually cover it completely.

> ... and I was surprised at what a tiny area
> on Earth could witness such events.  Considering 25 years
> and my memory, I think that two of the events would only
> have been visible from somewhere in the ocean, one in
> African jungle, and one mostly in the Pacific but with a
> small possible area in southern California.

I still don't understand what you are talking about. The
location on the side of the Earth facing Jupiter at the
time in question is of no importance, for viewing an
eclipse.

Or, are you talking about one of the moons occulting
another, from the point of view of an Earth observer? That
is not an eclipse; the Sun is not involved. But there would
be no surprising visual effect. The two dots would just
merge; there would be no sudden extinction as during an
eclipse.

> It does not surprise me that technollogy has advanced where
> such "mutual occultations" are now probably regularly
> predicted.  Your point is well taken that the location  of
> the Sun and Jupiter's orbit are what is important, and the
> events can only occur twice every twelve years, when Jupiter
> passes its nodes.  At the time, I was focused on the exact
> position of the Earth as many such events occurred during
> the daytime and over our 75% oceans and such.  It was
> frustrating to have spent months in doing endless
> calculations only to discover that no one on Earth could
> have witnessed them.

The above paragraph is eloquent testimony to the above
confusion.

> ... it had dawned on me
> that we have really accurate data regarding the precise
> locations and positions of the Galilean moons, and timing.
> Obviously, if someone witnessed the event on Earth, we could
> also know that timing to microseconds or better.  And we
> would know the distance between that location on Earth and
> each of the two moons involved to a meter or so.

That meter-accuracy might be a bit of an exaggeration.

> Even back then, I wondered if that available math might
> enable a really precise measurement of the speed of light,
> maybe to even fifteen-digit precision (that would be a
> million times more precise than the official speed of light,
> which is defined to nine-digit precision.)

The above is all very well taken. That would indeed be a
way to measure the one-way speed of light. But there are
some complex matters of definition to consider.

Unfortunately it only works one way. You can't use that
method to measure the speed of light the other way!

> An additional observation.  Io and Europa are each about
> 2000 miles in diameter.

That is not very accurate.

> Say that one passed the other 2000
> miles in the Z-axis.  Then no actual mutual eclipse even
> happens.  However, the Earth is bigger, and from certain
> locations on Earth, an observer could see a partial or total
> occultation of one by the other, even when no actual (solar)
> mutual eclipse had occurred.  Such detaills were part of why
> the math was so overwhelmingly complex.  And why an exact
> location on Earth was critical.

Here you are not talking about solar eclipses at all. I
understand.

> So my interest (and apparently also that of Meeus) was
> exclusively for total eclipses.  They only lasted a few
> seconds, (up to about 16 seconds max, as I recall), but they
> were apparently brain-jarring, as a reliable object rather
> suddenly disappeared, and then reappeared.

But that's my point. Nothing would disappear. It would be
clear to the observer on Earth that the two little dots
just merged together and then separated again. Nothing
brain-jarring about that.

I accept that, to take the other interpretation of what you
have been discussing, if for example Europa cast its shadow
(solar shadow) on Io, then it would indeed appear to the
observer that Io suddenly [almost] disappeared, and then
reappeared. But that's quite a different event. And it
would look the same from anywhere on Earth.

Thomas Goodey

*****************************
Anne's search for security
holes in the localizer network