[Physics] Mutual events of Galilean moons

Thomas Goodey thomas at flyingkettle.com
Thu Jul 27 02:28:51 CEST 2017

On 25 Jul 2017 at 12:00, Carl Johnson wrote:

> Ganymede and Callisto are generally much farther away
> from the other and much larger.  Yes, the math indicated
> a rare (solar) eclipse of one of the smalller ones by
> Ganymede, but that seemed to be extremely rare.  Io and
> Europa are often much closer together, and of roughly the
> same diameter, so most of the eclipses and occultations
> that I had calculated involved them, one way or the
> other.

The discussion has confused two quite different types of
occultation event:

(A) a solar eclipse of one of the GMs by another, in which
one moon blocks the light from the Sun falling on another.
For example, one case would be when Io, Europa, and the Sun
come into exact line.

That type of event is equally visible from anywhere on
Earth. It appears as a (relatively) abrupt disappearance of
the eclipsed moon (if the eclipse is total).

(B) an event in which, from the point of view of an
observer on the Earth, one of the GMs moves in front of
another. For example, a case would be when Europa moves in
front of Io.

That type of event is seen differently from different
places on the Earth. It appears as a coalescence of the two
moons in question, and a reduction of their optical
brightness to about half.

But neither case really could give any meaningful
information about the one-way speed of light. The events
simply don't happen quickly enough, definitely enough.

For example, Wikipedia gives the orbital speed of Europa at
around 14 km/sec, and that of Io at around 18 km/sec. So
their relative speed can only be about 4 km/sec at maximum.
Since Io is about 3600 km in diameter, you see that such an
event, either of type A or B, must take place over a
minimum of 900 seconds. And it happens gradually and
progressively. To get data accurate enough to discuss the
one-way speed of light, you would need a predictable event
that can be localized in time to less than a second. Such
events do not occur in the Jupiter system.

By the way, I don't see why you wouldn't have just as many
events involving Ganymede and Callisto (which are bigger).
The distance between the moons really wouldn't come into
it. There is very little parallax at that distance.

Thomas Goodey

*****************************
Anne's search for security
holes in the localizer network