[Physics] Galilean Satellites

Master Inventor mdaniel at masterinventor.com
Sat Jul 29 19:46:24 CEST 2017

I have not done even a simple calculation but I would tend to believe that the Meeus calculation is correct.  The idea that one disk eclipses another in a static 2-dimensional geometry is too simple.  In fact all the objects are moving including Jupiter so Europa's shadow sweeps across the surface of Io.  The sweep rate is multiplied by the lever arms involved.  Even the simple case is a complex problem in geometry.

However the major discrepancy can be resolved if you consider that it would be extremely rare for the eclipse to occur with jupiter, the sun, and both moons on the same alinement.  in that rare case the event could approach 1500 seconds.  However, more likely the eclipse would occur when the moons are far from that line, in which case the eclipses would be short because of the high angular sweep rates that occur at the orbital extremeness.

I am curious, why does it matter where you are on the earth when the eclipse occurs?  Shouldn't you be able the see the eclipse from anywhere on earth?