[Physics] Physics Digest, Vol 19, Issue 5

carmam at tiscali.co.uk carmam at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Dec 9 16:42:15 CET 2018

Tuffail, you asked me to reread the first 5 chapters of Einstein's "Relativity The Special And The General Theory". I have done this, and the only thing I can see that you may want to draw to my attention is the stone falling from the moving railway carriage. Sure, its trajectory looks different from the carriage and the tracks, so what is its "real" trajectory?There is another point of view, and that is from the stone itself, so now we have 3 "realities". We actually have an infinite number of realities dependant on the number of observers, they all see something different. These however are just observations. If an object changes its length with velocity, that is also just an observation, as getting to it and measuring it (in its own frame) will reveal the same length, no matter who is doing the measuring. Also, assuming we had two such identical objects (in length), one which moved and one which remained stationary with the observer, when brought together again, they would still be identical in length.Time is different, time leaves its mark, as when clock A runs slow at velocity, it will be behind clock B when the two are compared, assuming clock B has been at rest relative to clock A while clock A was moving. This fact alone proves that time is different to the 3 dimensions. Time is not a dimension. The 3 dimensions can be moved around in at will, not so with time. Time moves forward, and we are powerless to do anything other than move with it (move is probably the wrong word in this context, but it will do).
Tom.