[Physics] Physics Digest, Vol 21, Issue 9

Tufail Abbas tufail.abbas at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 11:22:36 CET 2018

I have noted that James has raised attention to a very important aspect of
gravity,
Quote:  "Gravitic curvature happens in TWO dimensions only" and then he
raise objection,
Quote: " but -that- image has never been drawn or pictured"

I agree that a correct appreciation of meaning of dimensions in equations
of physics is very important.

As per definition, number of dimensions of a system, is the number of
independent coordinates points that must be used to describe the system. In
that sense, in response to Tom's query,  if 8 *intervals* represents
position along one dimension and 300000,000 *interval* represents position
on another dimension then (8, 300000000) is the complete 2-Dimensionsal
description of that system.

However in physical systems, the important question is what does a *unit
interval* along each of the dimensions represents:

a) Is the unit interval representation of some physically existing object?.
b)Or that *unit interval  *is representative of change in quantities of
physically existing object?
c) Or the *unit interval* just  represent a position on mathematical number
line without any relationship with physically existing objects? If this is
the case then dimension is just an abstraction, and not a physical
dimension.

Physically existing object is the object that occupies volume within a
finite boundary

So if we say that time is a *true physical dimension*, then it must occupy
a volume. And if time does not occupy any volume then it may qualify
as *mathematical
dimension*, but not as a *physical dimension*.

We should find out, what does mathematical equations of 4-D and above,
 represent in our 3-D realm. For example: Distance along curvilinear length
of helix of 3rd order in 3-D is similar to expression for linear distance
in 4-D coordinate system.  (
https://bigquestionsofuniverse.quora.com/Helix-of-Multiple-Order)