[Physics] Physics Digest, Vol 19, Issue 5

Doug Marett dm88dm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 04:09:49 CET 2018

Hi James,

    Okay, a bit of jargon in there but I will try to see my way through
it... I would say relativity is a substantivalist philosophy which is
compatible with perdurantism and eternalism - these are not my models, I am
just uttering the philosophies that I think best describe Einstein's frame
of mind when he co-invented space-time with Minkowski.
The thing is, 4D points in space-time should at least have similar
properties - i.e. if a point in the past is non-variable, then we should
not expect a point in the future to be variable. So if i could travel into
the past, it should appear exactly as I remember it. So one should not
expect then that the future would somehow be variable and open-ended; the
future after all is just the past as seen by an observer further in the
future. To argue that the future has "room to change" is in my mind
incompatible with the core philosophy of relativity, i.e. the co-existence
of space-time points. And this goes to the soul of what is wrong with
relativity (and perhaps also quantum mechanics), the notion that the
properties of the universe are dependent on the perspective of the observer
- going from memory, I think this comes originally from the
anti-materialist and religious philosophy of George Berkeley , who heavily
influenced the thinking of Heisenberg, and his "uncertainty". As I see it,
the only way open to relativists to re-introduce free-will would be to say
that there is a multiplicity of dimensions (paths) into the future and at
each decision point you chose an alternate future - this is an idea
explored in science fiction but it should be obvious that this is vanity to
the max!! To believe that whether a millennial decides to get out of bed or
not changes the entire course of the universe as we know it seems pretty
preposterous. : )

Doug