[Physics] Milky way black hole missing?

Doug Marett dm88dm at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 18:54:02 CET 2019

Hey All.
This seems like an important development you should be made aware of. The
Event Horizon Telescope project has been saying they are going to provide
an image of the alleged black hole at the center of the milky way for some
time now. See:
https://eventhorizontelescope.org/news/planning-images-black-hole-new-image-analysis-tools-presented-aas-nova

And they already know what it should look like, see:
https://aasnova.org/2018/09/24/planning-for-images-of-a-black-hole/

However, a paper has just been released by another group which claims they
have imaged the same Sag. A. object using VLBI techniques. This paper is
discussed in detail in the youtube video here which seems to explain it
quite nicely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiKNMvEnpbQ

The problem is that the object at the center of our milky way doesn't look
anything like what it is supposed to. In fact it doesn't look like a black
hole at all. The only way they can explain it is to argue that
astrophysical jets from this "black hole" are being shot out along our line
of site - i.e. straight towards us. This doesn't make sense, since
according to every model I have seen, these jets are supposed to be emitted
along the axis of rotation of the galaxy, not straight into the disk where
we are. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrophysical_jet

This makes me wonder if the Event Horizon Telescope project is delaying the
release of their results because they are not finding what they expect.

Doug