[Physics] Physics Digest, Vol 3, Issue 19

carmam at tiscali.co.uk carmam at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Dec 28 11:00:17 CET 2016

Carl, your observations are good and correct and your comments are good also (but perhaps not exactly correct as Tufail pointed out). One sentence struck a chord with me, and it is one which makes a profound difference to physics, but apparently makes no waves on this forum, and on forums I have been derided.
"It was a hundred years later that Newton realized that BOTH masses orbit each other in such ellipses, where he corrected Kepler’s earlier math imprecision."
I have been saying for a long time now that both masses must be taken into account in all circumstances, even when describing how an object falls in Earth's (or any other) gravitational field. The conclusion when properly calculated, is that more massive objects fall faster (accelerate more) than less massive objects in a gravitational field, and all objects regardless of mass fall at the same rate in an accelerated field, so destroying Einstein's Equivalence Principle. By extension, and proven by the maths, a more massive planet orbits faster than a less massive one in the same orbit. Put the Earth in the same orbit as Jupiter, but 180 degrees round from Jupiter, and the two will collide after 12,000 years.  There is a programme to calculate this here :-http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/carmam/Hollings.html#gravity
Tom Hollings