[Physics] Real Time

Ilja Schmelzer ilja.schmelzer at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 2 17:20:08 CET 2016

> And so everyone ASSUMES that he would EXPERIENCE Time Dilation there.  There
> are TWO major errors in those assumptions.  (a) HE would not experience any
> Relativity issues, and only the OBSERVER at the North Pole (motionless)
> would SEE any such effects.  Nearly everyone is wrong about this error.

No. This error is done only by people with very bad or no education
about GR at all.  No reasonable scientist will claim that we can
somehow "experience" time dilation.  That is the very point of the
equivalence principle.

> (b) the other error in assumptions is due to everyone IGNORING General
> Relativity, which happens to have its own time-rate effect.

Also only done by stupid guys.  For GPS, GR effects are, of course,
important and everybody caring about this knows this.

> In other words, the ACTUAL effect due to BOTH forms of Relativity exactly
> cancel each other out.  There is NO DIFFERENCE in time rate between the guy
> at the North Pole nd anyone at the Equator, or anywhere else on Earth.

This exact cancelling is a consequence of the special situation. In
fact, it happens for an ideal fluid surface.  If there would remain
some difference, this would result in some flow, which would reduce
it.

For clocks on different height on Earth the velocity and the gravity
effect only partially cancel. And for orbiting satellites at different
heights they even add: A far away satellite has slower speed (thus,
less SR time dilation) and lower gravitational time dilation too.

> Only when someone is in a Non-Inertial Reat Frame, that is, accelerating,
> will an OBSERVER see any time-rate effects.

No, this has nothing to do with acceleration.  Of course, to compare
two clocks with different trajectories two times at the same place, at
least one of it has to be accelerated,  Simply because there is, in
SR, only one non-accelerated trajectory between two events.  But it
follows in no way that the time dilation depends on it.

One can easily construct examples in pure SR where the acceleration
phases of two spaceships are completely identical (only shifted
relative to each other) but the resulting time dilation is different.

I. Schmelzer