[Physics] Tesla and his nonsense

Doug Marett dm88dm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 04:54:37 CET 2016

Hi Tom,

    I don't buy your argument that such language in science is acceptable
because it has become a customary form of scientific discourse, i.e. the
use of contradictory or oxymoron-ic phraseology  . Rather, I think it is
better to view such deliberate misuse of the meaning of words in physics as
a form of doublespeak https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doublespeak, which has
its origins, in part, in the doublethink of George Orwell's 1984. It is in
a sense, the "political language" of physics.
What we are talking about is the  intentional ambiguity in language or to
actual inversions of meaning (e.g., "I just want you to know that, when we
talk about war, we're really talking about peace."
It is summed up by Edward Herman in describing the purpose of doublespeak

 "What is really important in the world of doublespeak is the ability to
lie, whether knowingly or unconsciously, and to get away with it; and the
ability to use lies and choose and shape facts selectively, blocking out
those that don’t fit an agenda or program."

  Why else use contradictory language in the description of physical
phenomenon? Why else ask student to "abandon reason" when considering
physical theory? Why else ask, as Feynman did, for his students to believe
6 impossible things before breakfast?

Doug