[Physics] Orwellian language

Ilja Schmelzer ilja.schmelzer at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 10 08:20:44 CET 2016

Regarding the doublespeak, I have been able to publish a criticism of
one aspect of the doublespeak in Foundations of Physics.

"Moreover, a naming convention which forces us to name theories which
are local in any physically important sense "non-local" is not only
absurd, but can be even considered as Orwellian."

With a footnote explaining: "To classify the actual convention as
"Orwellian" is justified not only because it requires to name a local
theory non-local. It also shares another important aspect with
newspeak -- it leaves some incorrect thoughts without words to talk
about then: Indeed, the word "local" is the natural word to describe
the class of models considered in this paper, with some much higher
speed of information transfer in a hidden preferred frame, and to
distinguish it from theories with really pathological locality and
causality violations. And this is, indeed, a class of theories which
is the closest thing to anathema in modern physics."

Schmelzer, I.: About a "nonlocal" local model considered by L.
Vervoort, and the necessity to distinguish locality from Einstein
locality, acc. by Foundations of Physics, arXiv:1610.03057