[Physics] Orwellian language

Doug Marett dm88dm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 19:30:23 CET 2016

Hi Ilja

    Thanks, yes, I checked out your arXiv article, looks like that is
another example of the problem. I am sure there are many more in the
mathematical models that are not immediately evident to the casual reader.
Contradictory language just adds confusion for those trying to understand
physics concepts - in some cases this is an unfortunate convention that
arose because of a mistake and then stuck. Other times, the theory is
actually flawed by it, particularly if it contains:
a) contradictory arguments
b) defies known laws of physics
c) contains untestable propositions

Here are some of my, err, favorites:

1) The North pole is actually the South pole:
http://www.physics.org/article-questions.asp?id=65

This one is just darn inconvenient, but it is a true oxymoron.

2) The carriers of electricity are negative, not positive:
http://www-spof.gsfc.nasa.gov/Education/woppos.html
here is a cartoon about Benjamin Franklin making the mistake
http://xkcd.com/567/
This then leads to the unendinig confusion about conventional current and
electron current.
This is particularly vexing when 1 and 2 are combined, like when trying to
determine the expected direction of the Lorentz force in a motor
experiment, and being confronted with a compass that tell me the wrong pole
for my magnet, and a electrical diagram that doesn't define whether we are
talking about conventional or electron flow!

3) Space is expanding.
Well, this is a contradiction in terms - space cannot "expand". A gas
inside of a space can expand, or the walls of a vessel can expand,
enclosing more space, but space itself cannot expand, in the literal sense
of the words. But this one also defies the known laws of physics, since as
space is presumed to expand, the energy in space also expands (increases),
directly defying the conservation of energy law.
http://www.preposterousuniverse.com/blog/2010/02/22/energy-is-not-conserved/
Finally, the theory cannot be directly tested in the sense that the
expansion cannot be measured by an observer seeking to observe a direct
increase in the distance between objects in near space - see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_expansion_of_space . Since this is
part of the definition of the theory, it contains an untestable
proposition.

4) Light is both a particle and a wave.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave%E2%80%93particle_duality
A wave is a disturbance in a medium, a particle is an object.
Albert Einstein <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein> wrote: "*It
seems as though we must use sometimes the one theory and sometimes the
other, while at times we may use either. We are faced with a new kind of
difficulty. We have two contradictory pictures of reality; separately
neither of them fully explains the phenomena of light, but together they do*
".[1]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave%E2%80%93particle_duality#cite_note-1>
There is a lot of talk that the collapse of the wavefunction would appear
to defy the conservation of energy and the speed of light, unless one
resorts the the undesirable many-worlds approach, which is probably
untestable (how does one go about detecting alternate universes??).

There are many more, if anyone wants to add to the list I would like to
hear it!

Doug