[Physics] Physics Digest, Vol 1, Issue 10

Doug Marett dm88dm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 20:53:18 CEST 2016

Hi Carl,

   Is it possible you are leaving out something? From your description it
sounds like when two photons of sufficient energy constructively interfere
in a magnetic field, an electron-positron pair is generated. It was my
impression that this can only occur in the presence of a nucleus (or a
light-matter interaction, not a photon-photon interaction by itself), for
example see the wikipedia page on pair production where it says:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pair_production
"The photon must be near a nucleus in order to satisfy conservation of
momentum, as an electron-positron pair producing in free space cannot both
satisfy conservation of energy and momentum."
Is that actually what you mean? Thanks.

Doug