[Physics] Clock time vs. common sense time

Doug Marett dm88dm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 18:58:28 CEST 2016

Hi Ilja,

    Your last remarks about clocks are not what I would expect a
subvantivalist would say - I would have expected the defense to be that,
for example, in a gravitational potential my head and feet are progressing
into the future at different rates (as would be verified by accurate enough
clocks) but because the difference in time between them is so slight, it is
imperceptible, and thereby, not noticed. You, on the other hand, argue that
the clocks would be in the same present, and would remain in the same
present, that they just differ in readings, which is what I have been
saying all along. : ) But if that is true, then subvantivalism is dead, and
4D space time is just a fiction. And I can say that, because, as a
Positivist and Presentist, I have free will, and my choices are
unencumbered by an overbearing future!

Doug