[Physics] "True" time

Ilja Schmelzer ilja.schmelzer at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 27 14:16:49 CEST 2016

I can refer you to Newton:

"I. Absolute, true, and mathematical time, of itself, and from its own
nature, flows equably without relation to anything external, and by
another name is called duration: relative, apparent, and common time,
is some sensible and external (whether accurate or unequable) measure
of duration by the means of motion, which is commonly used instead of
true time; such as an hour, a day, a month, a year."

In modern words, absolute time is a time parameter, or time
coordinate, used to define the whole theory in terms of some evolution
equation.  It is not defined by some measurement.

apparent time, or clock time, is what we measure, instead, with
clocks, and use instead of true time.