[Physics] "True" time

Thomas Goodey thomas at flyingkettle.com
Fri Oct 28 12:16:14 CEST 2016

On 28 Oct 2016 at 12:00, Ilja wrote:

> In modern words, absolute time is a time parameter, or time
> coordinate, used to define the whole theory in terms of some
> evolution equation.  It is not defined by some measurement.

So... absolute time has no definition, and cannot be
measured, and accordingly intervals of "absolute time"
cannot be assigned numerical values? What is its meaning,
then? Is it a pure fantasy? Is it just, how excited your
body feels at the time? Not even quantified?  It seems to
be completely meaningless, according to your "explanation".

> apparent time, or clock time, is what we measure, instead,
> with clocks, and use instead of true time.

We haven't got much option, do we, since true time cannot
be measured! Thus, it's not a question of "instead". We
seem, very sensibly, to be ignoring a fantasy and rather
dealing with an actual physical parameter.

Thomas Goodey

But remember, please, the rules by which we live.
We are not built to comprehend a lie.
We can neither love, nor pity, nor forgive.
If you make a slip in handling us you die.

Rudyard Kipling, 'Secret of the Machines'