[Physics] Physics Digest, Vol 8, Issue 2

cj at mb-soft.com cj at mb-soft.com
Fri Aug 4 19:38:42 CEST 2017

Mr. Hollings thoughts seem reasonable to me.  Please realize that I did all that math when I was "a young man" (twenty five years ago) and I did it entirely baased on equations from Meeus' wonderful book (although at that time, it was only available in a Belgian text, so I greatly depended on the actual equations) and on the massive database of the VSOP87 factors of everything's gravitational (mathematical) effects on each other.  Just finding hundreds of terms where our Moon affects the orbits of Io and Europa intrigued me.  I like Mr. Hollings reasoning, but I concede that I simply "did the math" to get the results I got.

Doesn't it seem logical that SOMEBODY should NOW do the same math I did regarding the coming mutual eclipses in 2021?  Then we ALL might get our Binoculars and telescopes out to observe a really peculiar event (HOWEVER long it lasts).  But I fear that no one will, and like at previous Nodes of Jupiter, a rare astronomer will just happen to be looking at Jupiter when one of the Galileans disappears on him.

I can relate to "My head hurts" when I spent endless days going through many thousands of pages of the VSOP87 data and then using up the ink in half a dozen pens in doing the math.

Again, I apologize for bringing up "this distraction" from the pursuit of gravitation of your group.  I also STILL like the potential merit in trying to use such an event to try to determine a "one way apeed of light".  I appreciate that all other methods have used "out and back" paths, where there might be some undiscovered factor affecting both ways.  So I agree with the value in looking for a "one-way speed of light"

Carl Johnson
.