[Physics] Physics Digest, Vol 4, Issue 7

cj at mb-soft.com cj at mb-soft.com
Sat Jan 14 15:56:13 CET 2017

Yes, if the Milky Way is fifteen billion years old and if the Solar System resonates around every 50 million years, it would logically seem that we have done around three hundred cycles so far, and so we have passed through the cluttered centerline are around 600 times so far.  I am not sure what the implications of this are.  But the most recent time we passed through there was around thirteen million years ago, and my calculations are that the "southern side" of the solar system must have led us through, which is why I suspecxt that the southern hemispheres of the Moon and Mercury and Mars might have a logical reason for  having so many craters.  No one elae seems to have ever cared about this geometric anomaly.  An impliction might be that the craters on the Moon might NOT all be 4 billion years old, but some or many might only be thirteen million years old, mere pups.  We are not likely to try to land any spacecraft near Copernicus, so we probavly will not get any geologic samples from the big craters to try to date them.

I am  not sure I can buy the "massive" argument.  It seems to me that in 1919, the Einstein calculations for the solar eclipse was a decent fraction of a degree of apparent bending, even substantially away from the Sun's edge.  We are talking about REALLY TINY fractions of a degree, even tiny fractions of an arc-second at the distances of an Einstein Cross.  I am still not willing to just adopt the Gravitational Lensing reasoning, but somebody should do the math to see just how much mass might be needed to produce the observed bending.  My guess is that it would be fairly minimal.

Yeah, you might have a brilliant insight that the differential density of the Corona might actually be the cause of the observed refraction, and Einstein might have been wrong in crediting GR.  An interesting subject, where known numbers might confirm or deny your idea.  And, if so, also as you mention, apparent gravitational lensing effects where we do see refraction.

Yeah, the tip is trailing.  Think about a hundred million equal mass stars, and billions of years, where an initial velocity existed.  Not only doea the Sun and everrything else weave crossways, we are also being (slightly) attracted forward by gravitation of maybe 70 million stars which are in the wider part ahead of us, ut we are attracted rearward by the gravitation of the thirty million masses behind us.  I spent a couple years with a computer in the late 90s to try to see what might happen.  The tapered shape forms, with the wider and more massive amounts up front, and where the "trailing" stars may either get lost out of the Arm (due to lesser available gravitation) or some might get pulled forward to populate the forward wider part.  Every computer simulation, even with just a thousand identical masses  eventually formed a tapered shape.  And for the very tail, we have all hundred million gravitational masses pulling it forward.  My web-page refers to a bunch of ice skaters in a "crack the whip" handholding pattern (gravity) where the very outermost skater zooms at superhuman speed, but is slightly curved behind the people just alead of him, causing the CURVE of the "whip" or the Arm.

Those few stars at the veery, very tail have really minimal gravitation affecting them, nearly all nearly straight forward (like the hand holding of the whip).  And individuals might also get lost, making the tail get narrower still.  A cool part is that pure newtonian gravitation thereby causes the tapered shape of every spiral Arm.  AND it assures that they are STABLE.

Except in rare cases of anomalies like M51, where "the hand holding failed part way out" and so M51
has a "ball" at the "tail" of one Arm.  I feel that the total of the two Arms in M51 have similar masses, where the "ball" has made itself into a ball (possibly fairly recently, a few billion years).

Are my comments adequate?  I will try again if they are not clear.  I  also want to note to the Group that I am old and have severe Parkinson's, so my fingers sometimes double key some letters for spelling errors.  Sorry.

Carl Johnson