[Physics] Physics Digest, Vol 9, Issue 2

cj at mb-soft.com cj at mb-soft.com
Sun Oct 8 00:32:11 CEST 2017

I had not realized that you might not KNOW how to calculate wavelengths and frequencies for electromagnetic waves.  It's not that hard to do.  And then doing EXACTLY the  same calculation for gravitational waves (which I had calculated fifteen years ago), gives (obvious) wavelengths of more than a thousand light years.  And, as we all assume that gravitation travels at the speed  of light, that means a "frequency" of one wave per many thousands of years.  (Some commonly accepted figures indicate possibly MILLIONS of years per wave.

For the record, I considered such a phenomena to be beyond me.  So I calculated the differential calculus of such a wave to calculate how much energy and power might be in it.  Other easy calculations can then be Integrated to determine the total energy in a single gravitational wave, and it is a HUGE amount.  I briefly thought there might be some value in such gravitational waves, but as to "power", it is obviously irrelevant.  I tthink I remember calculatinng that a 5000 hp engine would be comparable, and if such an engine ran full bore for tens of thousands of years, yes, a gravitational wave might contain impressive amounts of total energy.

But some  people credit gravitational waves with "star creation" when passing through spiral galaxies, but no one must have ever actually done the math.

I see that you trust Wikipedia to provide yoou with trustworthy information, even though Wiki denies you of knowing who wrote any of their articles.  Some years ago, Wiki got in a lot of trouble about that as a guy who drove a garbage truck "re-wrote" 18,000 of their articles.

I just trust "careful math" to either support  or deny any hypothesis.  As science works, most get refuted, but the remaining ones are great.

And you seem to believe that quadrupole moments are magical?  The math is still true, and THAT is what I rely on.

By the way, the Earth's magnetic field contains Dipole, Quadrupole and Octopole components as well as many more complex terms.  They ALL rely on the speed of light.

What I would wish you guys would do is to STUDY the various claims that people make.  If YOU  could understand what they did to accept that a quadrupole  moment is important, fine.  But, it seems like many people today just "accept" ideas that "seem attractive", without even trying to understand experimental details.

I ENCOURAGE you all to CHALLENGE every idea presented to you, and ASK for "proof" to whoever would talk to you.  Don't just "accept an attractive idea".

Make sure you feel you see some LOGIC and some PROOF.

Carl Johnson