[Physics] Physics Digest, Vol 9, Issue 2

cj at mb-soft.com cj at mb-soft.com
Sun Oct 8 15:51:25 CEST 2017

You referred to a Wikipedia article about gravitational waves that mentioned a frequency of 10^-16 Hertz.  That was my point.  That frequency is the same as one wave in aboutt 400,000,000 years.

Whether or not such a frequency exists regarding gravitational waves, the point is thast we humans do not know how to detect or analyze such incredibly  slow processes.  The best we know how to do is to try to very, very carefully apply a Fourier Analysis, where we can detect some of the complexities of variations of the Earth's orbit's eccentricity (which today is 0.0167011611 )  Laskar used Fourier (and more) to derive the changes in the Eccentricity  over the past million years and coming million years (as he presented in a grsph I reproduced in my web-page at http://mb-soft.com/public3/equatime.html )  But there is just not sufficient experimental data available regarding any gravitational waves to be able to do such analysis.  Scientists who try to do so invariably make various ASSUMPTIONS, often with virtually no logical basis, to then try to find "indirect evidence".  IF their assumptions have decent logical basis, fine.  On modern astrophysics, often that is not the case, in many fields.

In order for science to advnce, it is important to be very careful regarding all the assumptions that are made.  Many of the modern ideas presented seem excitinng to uneducated people (like super strings) but the physicists who should know better know that no one is in any position to challenge outrageous assumptions.  In that case, the smallest things we have any chance of detecting are about 10^-23 meter in size, which is about the size of some atomic nuclei, where light can pass across in the briefest experiments we know how to do.  So when somebody claims to know about super-strings, which they say are about 10^-46 meters in size, they KNOW that no one can possibly ever prove that they are wrong.  Modern Physics is chock full of such extreme speculations.  Unfortunately, gravitational waves appear to be in that category, where no experiment we are ever likely to be able to do could ever prove or deny the existence of gravitational waves.

Carl Johnson