[Physics] Physics Digest, Vol 19, Issue 5

Tufail Abbas tufail.abbas at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 15:33:20 CET 2018

Tom,

I think you were a bit harsh when you said the following statement is utter
nonsense and with a motive to deceive.

 "If you insist that all objects have their rest length, then why not be
consistent and say that all objects have their rest velocity?"

I have not judged because I don't know what exactly is in his mind when he
made those statements.

Length cannot be defined unless , first we define an orientation along
which  length is to measured. Usually that orientation is defined with
reference to direction of velocity. And object at rest as you said is at
zero velocity (wrt own frame). So in which direction will you orient this
velocity of zero magnitude? Therefore I guess, that such an object at rest
will have many  lengths each in each direction.

Regards,

Tufail