[Physics] Gravitational Time Dilation and Gravitational Redshift - two separate things?

Ilja Schmelzer ilja.schmelzer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 21:49:56 CET 2018

No, the signal will be blue-shifted only once.

This can be best seen if one replaces the wave by a hand-waving person
and looks at the time when the light signal of "hand up" and "hand
down" arrive.

If we look at this in coordinates which are natural for a stable
configuration, thus, a metric of the form g_mn (x^i) dx^m dx^n with
the metric coefficients depending only on the spatial coordinates, and
assume the handwaving guy as well as the observer at rest, the light
rays for "hands up" and for "hands down" are the same trajectories,
only with a shift in the time coordinate t.

Thus, from point of view of the background time coordinate, there is
no change in the frequency.  Thus, the only change in the frequency is
because of the clocks (which have to be used to measure the frequency
of the hand-waving).   So, they are the same thing.