[Physics] Physics Digest, Vol 19, Issue 5

Doug Marett dm88dm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 19:00:42 CET 2018

Hi All,

  I recently have found a couple of relativistic concepts that I have found
logically disturbing and thought I would throw them out there.

The first is Einstein's redefinition of time as "that which a clock
measures" which differs in a dramatic way from the more classical
definition of time as being "the duration between events" or "the duration
of an event". To give an example, if three observers watch a sunrise on
earth, then two of them fly in opposite directions around the earth while
the third stays put, and meet back at the same place where they then watch
the sunset, all three will disagree on the elapsed time for sunrise to
sunset using clocks they have carried with them. In other words, according
to Einstein, there is no actual constant duration between the sunrise and
sunset, even though all witnesses are present in the same velocity frame
for the start and finish. Further, the idea that the number of ticks on the
clock defines how far you have progressed into the future would also be
wrong according to Einstein, since all the clocks would have different
ticks even though the share the same present at the start and finish. Why
are these contradictions not fatal to Einstein's theory?

The second has to do with the statement

“indeed that the speed of light is actually more fundamental than either
time or space”

-
http://www.exactlywhatistime.com/physics-of-time/relativistic-time/

However, the speed of light depends on both “time” and “space (distance)" =
distance/time

Is this not a circular argument – that a phenomenon that depends on time
and space is more fundamental than time and space?

It is a bit like saying the speed of sound in air is more fundamental than
air and time.

Anyone else bothered by this ??

Doug