[Physics] Physics Digest, Vol 18, Issue 1

carmam at tiscali.co.uk carmam at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Oct 31 16:18:52 CET 2018

Carl, watch the video of the Frisch and Smith experiment, and at 8 minutes and 30 seconds you will see that they tell us that the muons do slow down in the iron block, and some stop (10 minutes in). I do not claim that they do, Frisch and Smith did. In that experiment Bremsstrahlung radiation is not mentioned, and is certainly irrelevant. The video is here : - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbsdrHlLfVQ
You contradict yourself here "All the "interesting energy transfers occur during the acceleration and then deceleration phase of that trip." What is deceleration if it is not slowing down? Please get your facts correct.Please highlight or otherwise mark my logical error about muon decay in this copy of my previous email, as I said that they may decay after they have stopped. Obviously, if they decay in the iron block, they will not reach the scintillator. You still have not answered my question asking how the speed of the muons is measured as they descend through the atmosphere, and how, if mass increase is illusory, it can prevent or reduce acceleration (for a given force).
Tom Hollings