[Physics] Physics Digest, Vol 22, Issue 3

cj at mb-soft.com cj at mb-soft.com
Tue Feb 19 16:12:26 CET 2019

Black hole.  Your collective comments seem to be good.

Because I happened to have lived my 50 year career in theoretical physics "fron the inside", I feel the need to inform you guys as to an enormous "political aspect of my "profession".  And to add an idea for you guys.

There are relatively few of us, and my compatriots RARELY are willing to adjust their arrogance to ever be willing to communicate with ANY "non-physicists".  Most are not even willing to communicate with mathematicians (who are often far smarter than even we physicists).

The way that modern politics works in Physics is where 'MANY" OF US have "horse blinders" on where they cannot (or will not) communicate with ANYONE except on a single very narrow subject.  Which is what they each focus their career on.  The current popular ones are "gravitational waves", "black holes (of MANY variants), "dark energy", "dark matter", "accellerating expanding universe".

The REASON for these specific interests is simple, money (and reputation)  There are some VERY rich people who want to "become known" for giving out "scientific GRANTS" where theink they will be "admired".

The weird situation is that YOU could receive a few million dollars.  Maybe you decide that "black holes" all look like peppermint candy canes (with the stripes).

You would NOT need to convince any physicists.  Just some rich guy who likes you.  Almost immediately, he would make the check for a few million to you.  And since you had RECEIVED millions, now you become seen as some genius.  Remember 20 years ago when those two guys who claimed to have physics Degrees did a public announcement that they had invented "cold fusion"?  They were briefly treated like they were geniuses.  They were not.

When we Physicists have "Conferences", there usually a handful  of REALLY AGGRESSIVE people who try to take over the room.  The most aggressive try to "plow through" each other (for their egos).

In any case, the result is usually claims which have NO EVIDENCE.  But Physicis is SUPPOSED to be based on logic and evidence.

Millions of dollars gets spent, like with the black hole claims.  But NO actual logic and NO "evidence" is ever around.

But it all seems to entertain the rich people.  Oh, well.

As to my "suggestion" fof you guys who want to learn about gravitation:  IF there really are "black holes" (and super big ones, etc), instead of SPECULATING , why not LOOK FOR the (alleged) massive black hole in the Milky Way?  If the alleged critter has the mass of billions of stars (over 13.8 billion years), should the (Newtonian) gravitational force be "billions of times more powerful (and radially inward) then there should be all sorts of ferocious gravitational effects?  Like, our couple hundred (spherical) globular clusters should be (intensely gravitationally be distorted by the (alleged) black hole(s)?

Instead of SPECULATING about some silly and expensive experiments, why not actually LOOK FOR true evidence?

Carl Johnson.