[Physics] Physics Digest, Vol 27, Issue 1

Arend Lammertink lamare at gmail.com
Fri May 1 18:26:15 CEST 2020

Hi CJ,

This is an interesting idea, but perhaps a bit impractical. You may
want to consider using capacitive displacement sensors:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitive_displacement_sensor

"Capacitive displacement sensors can be used to measure the position
of objects down to the nanometer level."

Seems that you could reduce your proposed kilometer by orders of
magnitude that way. Of course, that would make the construction much
more sensitive to vibrations, etc. but at first glance it seems to me
the required dimensions could be substantially scaled down for this
idea to try, but perhaps I'm missing something.

Best regards,

Arend.