[Physics] Magnets and gas bubbles in water. Was: Re:How to answer ?

Arend Lammertink lamare at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 09:44:09 CET 2016

Hi Doug and group,

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 4:27 AM, Doug Marett <dm88dm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Arend and the group,
>
>    Just to be thorough, I thought I had better perform the actual experiment
> with the magnet in the electrolysis bath just to be sure that the flows
> obeyed the predictions of the Lorentz force. This didn't take long, so I
> have a video prepared already that was just posted tonight to YouTube at:
> https://youtu.be/HXAVyzxRSS0
>    I also used this opportunity to see if the motion of the charged
> particles would be influenced by rotating the magnet underneath the bath,
> which is a test included in the video.

Interesting experiment!

What would happen if you were to pump tiny bubbles of air into the
water, while a magnet is present either in the fluid or just
underneath it?

You see, there is a rather interesting presentation by Prof. Gerald
Pollack, who discovered that a 4th state of water exists:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS4PkR_BkRo

"Gerald Pollack - This paper largely comprises a draft chapter of my
forthcoming book, The Fourth Phase of Water: Beyond Solid, Liquid and
Vapor (Ebner and Sons, 2012). I preface it by providing some
background. School children learn that water has three phases: solid,
liquid and vapor. But we recently uncovered what appears to be a
fourth phase. This phase occurs next to water-loving (hydrophilic)
surfaces. It is surprisingly extensive, projecting out from the
hydrophilic surface by up to millions of molecular layers.
A principal attribute of this phase is that it excludes particles and
solutes because of its liquid crystalline nature. We have therefore
labeled this phase the "exclusion zone" or EZ for short. Of particular
significance is the observation that the EZ is [negatively] charged;
and, the water just beyond is oppositely charged. This creates a
battery that can produce current. We found that light recharges this
battery. Thus, water can receive and process electromagnetic energy
drawn from the environment - much like plants. The material below
outlines the evidence that water acts as a battery. "

According to his theory, this liquid crystallic state of water, akin
to ice, is negatively charged and is a/o formed at the surface of a
water-air boundary. So, it this is correct, any gas bubble under water
would be surrounded by such a negatively charged EZ layer and thus one
would expect any bubble moving under water in a magnetic field to be
influenced by the Lorentz force.

Might be an interesting experiment...

Regards,

Arend.