[Physics] Magnets and gas bubbles in water. Was: Re:How to answer ?

Doug Marett dm88dm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 21:45:56 CET 2016

Hi Arend,

    Thanks for the additional feedback. I followed up on your suggestion
and tried to bubble a gas over the magnet in a water bath to see if the
bubbles would curve due to the Lorentz effect (assuming they might be
negatively charged as you suggest). I made a short video of the result
here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS4PkR_BkRo (unlisted).
I found bubbling air problematic, since the bubbles were too big, I
eventually settled on generating CO2 from evanescent sodium bicarbonate in
water. This made nice bubbles but I could not get them to react to the
magnet - they seemed to go just straight up. I don't know if this is
because they were neutrally charged, or if the velocity was too slow.
Anyway, I gave it a try and you can view the result at the above link.

Doug