[Physics] How to answer ?

Arend Lammertink lamare at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 00:12:01 CEST 2016

Hello Olivier and list,

The list works just like a normal e-mail address. Whatever you mail to
physics at tuks.nl will be sent to all subscribers to the list, and it will
also appear on the public archive:

http://www.tuks.nl/pipermail/physics/

I posted some information about the mailing list program we're using and
some general rules on how to best communicate via a mailinglist:

http://www.tuks.nl/pipermail/physics/2016-October/000059.html

These rules are not that critical, the most important rule is to "be nice".

But it helps to be aware of some "good practices" which help to make this
way of communication more effective, such as removing pieces of text that
are not relevant to the points you make in your post.

It is also good practice to reply "in between" the lines you are replying
to, whereby you trim the text you are replying to, such that you contain
only the parts you are reacting to (or are otherwise relevant to understand
your reactions) and your reactions.

A good example is this post by Thomas:

http://www.tuks.nl/pipermail/physics/2016-October/000020.html

You will probably note that hardly anybody here does this (including me, I
must confess), but I will try to better my life, too :)

A final note to make is that the mailinglist software (mailman) defaults to
"plain text" messages. If you would like to receive the mails in "mime"
format, such as html, you can edit this option for yourself. There is a
line "To unsubscribe from Physics, get a password reminder, or change your
subscription options enter your subscription email address", where you can
enter your e-mail address:

That brings you to your settings page, where you can also set the language
for this page, which may help to understand the options better. At this
moment, I enabled English, Dutch, German and French. There are more
languages available in the administrative settings, so if someone would
prefer another language not listed, please drop me a mail.

Best regards,

Arend.