[Physics] Constant light speed

Tufail Abbas tufail.abbas at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 22:57:03 CEST 2017

Tom,

Off-course, meaning of constancy speed of light is not so straightforward.

Constant speed of light has its roots in Maxwell equations, which is
inverse of c squared is equal to product of permittivity and permeability.
If c is variable then permeability and permittivity should also vary.
Before we declare that speed of light is not constant, we need a consistent
explanation along with implication of this variability of c over
permittivity and  permeability. Assuming that we do not have a consistent
explanation (or if you have then please share), we can only discuss the
meaning of this constant speed, and in this context di-sitter experiment
seems to be meaningful. Where we discuss velocity the first question that
is obvious is with respect to what. And here are some  statements trying to
find the answer to this question, to which I have commented below:

any nearby object, then the two stars would be seen in their "correct"
places at all times.

So speed of light is constant wrt medium( which is different from
gravitational field as per my point of view). Source and receiver made of
matter are both effectively at rest wrt background medium. This perfectly
explains the constancy. Speed of A(matter) wrt B(medium) is zero, speed of
C(light) wrt B is c. Hence speed of A wrt C is also c. I agree that this
bizarre effective rest , needs a physical explanation. But definitely an
intuitive explanation  exists for such a bizarre state of rest, despite the
relative velocity of motion.

and its light waves will appear to have a frequency 10% higher. This
frequency will be preserved throughout the process. And the observer will
see the moving laser beam as having a higher frequency – a Doppler shift!
But the final velocity of both beams will be the same: c.

So the important point here is the variance of frewuency or energy content
per unit time. Let me try to explain, how this could happen. Let the
source(star) emits a constant amount of energy per unit area per unit time
t’, which is constant for all source, irrespective of the observed frequency
. Instead of thinking of Doppler Effect to possibly change the relative
travelling speed similar to the  case of sound waves, here the source can
be modelled as emitting photons consisting of sub-energy packets. All
energy sub-packets are released wrt medium at the instanraneous position of
source. So if the source is moving away, then number of energy sub-packets
travelling per unit length toward the receiver will reduce. These energy
sub-packets will be received by source into a packet of single photon
collected over a constant period of time t’. Time frequency 1/t’ of all
photons is same. What we see in equation hf, is measure of space frequency.
Long ago I answered this question on Quora.

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-a-strong-gravity-slow-down-time/answer/Tufail-Abbas-1

The answer though is not accurate but it only draws analogies, so not to be
taken too literally, but it gives an idea about what I am saying about
sub-packets. If the logic seems plausible or otherwise if it create more
doubts , then please provide feedback

Regards,

Tufail

On Jun 11, 2017 10:39 PM, "carmam at tiscali.co.uk" <carmam at tiscali.co.uk>