[Physics] Physics Digest, Vol 14, Issue 9

Randy O. Wayne row1 at cornell.edu
Tue Apr 24 12:22:04 CEST 2018

Dear All,
This may be interesting to you (http://labs.plantbio.cornell.edu/wayne/pdfs/OneCulture.pdf):
I recently read Einstein’s (1997) paper on the precession of the perihelion of Mercury and found that logically, I could not get from his assumptions to his conclusion (Wayne, 2015a). Then I realized that there was either a typo or a mistake in equation 7c. I wrote to a famous astrophysicist, who replied on May 23, 2015: Hi Randy, It certainly looks like a typo in the paper by Einstein. The Newtonian potential has to be GM/r, as you noted. By the way, I have personally never referred to Einstein's original papers for equations like this - I always go to one of the textbooks. Not sure whether I should feel ashamed or vindicated ... Perhaps the foundations of the general theory of relativity have not been scrutinized as much as the textbook versions imply (Wayne, 2012, 2015a).
Thanks,
Randy

Randy Wayne,
Providing a Second Opinion on Scientific Issues Since 1982
[second opinion]
http://labs.plantbio.cornell.edu/wayne/