[Physics] Physics Digest, Vol 19, Issue 5

carmam at tiscali.co.uk carmam at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Dec 2 23:22:03 CET 2018

Tuffail, I quoted the words of Einstein. Did you not notice that "But the meter rod is moving with the velocity v relative to K." was in quotes? Radial velocity and relative velocity are the same thing.Relative definition : considered in relation or in proportion to something else. The pertinant point here is - in relation to something else. In the context Einstein used, that relationship is distance between two points.Radial definition : of or arranged like rays or the radii of a circle; diverging in lines from a common center. If something moves away from a point source (which can be considered a centre) in a straight line, it is moving radially away. Not often stated explicitly as in that context, as it must always be so moving.

 Tom.