[Physics] Physics Digest, Vol 21, Issue 9

cj at mb-soft.com cj at mb-soft.com
Sun Dec 9 13:36:51 CET 2018

To James Rose,

You have interesting perspectives.  But  I notice something missing.  When I was getting my Degree in Physics from the University of Chicago (long ago), nearly all discussions were based on "complex numbers".  Sure, we talked about x, y, and z as "dimensions" but all of the more inteesting discussions involved (calculations) that had many complex components in them.

An interesting example I remember involves a "gravitational complex factor" which causes our Earth to have its own quirky asteroid IN OUR ORBIT, roughly 97 million miles ahead of us at our L4 Lagrange Point.  Few people try to calculate WHY it is there.  Actually, it is in a "cloud of dust" where the component pieces circulate around each other in interesting three-dimension al Lissajous paths.  (Just trying to understand those "kidney-shaped orbits" with just x, y, and z does not work.)

I have no doubt that "understanding gravitation" is not remotely pussible until you first understand the L4 and L5 LaGrange inteactions.  Some of my fellow Physicists believe that Jupiter has more than a million asteroids in its L4 and L5 locations, more than all the rest of the asteroids combined.

So, some of your insights have some mathematical issues, which require the "square root  of negative one" to correctly do the math.

Oh, some of my fellow Physicists are intrigued by the idea of "building a hotel" on our asteroid (permanently 97 million miles away) as a profit-making tourist destination.

Carl Johnson