[Physics] Physics Digest, Vol 21, Issue 6

Doug Marett dm88dm at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 20:37:52 CET 2018

Hi Carl,

    This kind of data is already available from the GPS system, for anyone
to verify on their own, see for example the raw data supplied from the
CDDIS:

https://cddis.nasa.gov/Data_and_Derived_Products/GNSS/daily_30second_data.html

This data allows you to examine directly the propagation time between a GPS
satellite at 20,000 km altitude and a GNSS receiver on the ground knowing
the precise location of both supplied in the data. Since the satellite
clocks are preset before launch to run slower so that they match the earth
clocks (since the satellite clocks would normally run faster at altitude
than earth clocks) the satellite clocks become approximately synchronized
to the earth clocks after correction.Then a further Tsv clock correction is
applied using relativistic equations to continuously compensate for any
additional drift of the satellite clock. If the "experts" were wrong in
their math, then a messed up Tsv correction alone would cause a GPS
position error of up to 5000 meters. In any event, I did a study myself of
the CDDIS GPS data this summer and I found that using all of their
mathematical assumptions, the GPS position error could be as low as a few
cm for any given position solution. In my study, I used over 625,000
individual transmissions across the gravitational gradient to create my
dataset, so I would call that 625,000 individual verifications that the
current assumption that uncorrected satellite clocks count faster at
altitude is correct. So there is no need to re-invent the wheel here...

http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast162/Unit5/gps.html

Doug